Sunday, October 16, 2016

03 October, 2016 (Alex Olson)

After a long day and a late night of discussing alternative options of what today would be, we set our sights on Lander, Wyoming for the night.  With weather coming in as we were tearing down camp, we made short work of our daily chores so we could stay as dry as possible.  As we hit the road towards our destination I would soon become the only person awake besides Jeff and Ryan.  If only I had a camera I could be the photographer of the official “people sleeping in a van” album starring our lovely ECOEE members.  I admire some people’s ability to fall asleep in the most awkward and uncomfortable positions imaginable.  Like how can your neck still be in tact after sitting in a position like that for an extended period of time?!  I’m guessing that drivers passing us on the road just think we have a van full of life sized bobble heads as they go by.  As we were along our route today we stopped in Casper, Wyoming to go to yet another Walmart.  I’m still wondering if we realize that there are more grocery stores in the world than just Walmart.  We were greeted coming into town with 60 mph wind gusts according to the National Weather Advisory for the area.  Needless to say, we had a few things blowing away including my own hat I was wearing which the wind caught twice before I finally decided it wasn’t worth the hassle so I put it away. After groceries and a short break for lunch, we continued on to eventually get to Lander.  We went downtown to take a look at where NOLS all started and where it still stands today.  Tomorrow we will get the chance to see for ourselves what it is like to run programs such as they do.  Our coldest night so far awaits us but I can’t imagine being anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment