Sunday, October 16, 2016

28 September, 2016 (Mariah Von Bruenchenhein)

What a day! What a day! It was such a great morning and an extremely beautiful day! However, I woke up sort of pissed because I had to pee really, really bad and did not want to get out of my sleeping bag. Thank goodness I did because the night sky was absolutely gorgeous! It pepped up my mood but I still went back to my sleeping bag to sleep just a little big longer. But something even better happened after that. Emily was completely cocooned in her sleeping bag. She stuck only her nose, one eye, and half of her mouth out to ask me how much time she has left to sleep or something along those lines. I answered about twenty-five minutes and she literally squealed with joy. Probably the cutest thing I have seen in a while. That girl makes me smile so much. Instead of going back to sleep we chatted for the rest of the time. After breakfast we set off on a hike throughout some of the badlands. I was amazed at the landscapes. Liv told me she is already planning a trip back to this place and I hope I’m invited when she does. I got many beautiful pictures of the landscapes and also a few with my instructor, who I can also call my very good friend. We moved on to the location of the Wounded Knee Massacre which was a few hours away. The ride was wonderful. It included great views, awesome music, and writing to loved ones back at home. It is hard to collect all my thoughts after visiting the location of the Wounded Knee Massacre. Just being there moved me in a way I cannot explain. I really do not know how to put my feelings into words. It’s a lot different learning about the incident at the actual place instead of from our textbooks. All I can say is education yourself. It is the most powerful thing one can do. Goodnight South Dakota. 

No comments:

Post a Comment