Wednesday, October 26, 2016

19 October, 2016 (Alex Olson)

As I sit here writing this tonight I can’t help but look at the horizon lit up by the stars to see the peaks of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Just being here is everything I’ve ever dreamed of plus a little more.  Our day started at Summit Adventure with an early morning at 7am.  With lots of things to get done, we got on task right away after breakfast.  Cleaning out anything and everything in the trailer was a must as I could not even imagine the stench of what it would be like when we will see it again next week after already smelling like it does.  I guess you could say we have a very distinct smell that follows us around.  After group chores were finished up we all had to somehow get all of our things in our packs which ended with me realizing that 85 lbs. is a lot to carry around for a week.  Needless to say, I will be getting my workout in this week.  When we finally left Summit Adventure, our route had us going through narrow and windy mountain roads which was uphill the whole way there.  Once we got parked and unloaded, we had another uphill battle, but this time on our feet.  We had our newly learned trail positions assigned and after a brief lesson reminding us on navigation from Jeff, there was no turning back.  We had an adventure ahead of us for the whole way to camp but the best way I could describe it was that we just took the scenic route.  Eventually our hike came to an end as we reconnected with Jeff and Ryan to discuss how we were doing and we finally called it a day short of our intended destination.  Looking forward to what tomorrow and the rest of the week will bring so I will be needing some sleep to be able to get through the day. Hopefully our bear bags hold up well!


“I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it” -William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment