Saturday, September 24, 2016

01 September, 2016 (Mariah Von Bruenchenhein)

Happy September first! Today started off quite well. I made oatmeal with peanut butter and banana chips for my tent mates, Tommy and Liv. The group was canoe ready before 8am and we only had to do a quick sweep before we were on the river once again. Today I was paired up with Nick in the canoe. I extremely enjoyed his presences and here are a few reasons why. While canoeing I learned we have similar interests in performing arts (while I later learned more about that evening). At the end of ECOEE we plan on going to one of WIU’s dance performances that occurs around the same time we will be getting back into Macomb. Also, as many of you know now, Nick is an extremely funny guy. He had me giggling and smiling all morning long. One thing I would like to point out is that he knows when and when not to help me. I’m stubborn when it comes to doing stuff myself (such as portaging, getting in and out of the canoe, and setting up camp) and when Nick asks me if I need help he back off when I say no with with no fuss and of course helps me when I ask for it. I want to be as tough as the boys even though I clearly cannot be. It’s a weird thing to observe, but thank you Nick for helping me when I ask for it and letting me do the job by myself when I ask for that space. He might of not noticed it but I sure did. Moving on, today’s portage was super easy. Nick and I stayed together the whole time and it was nice talking with him since I really haven’t had the chance to. I learned that he really isn’t a good liar and smiles when he tries to. Nick and I have that in common. We stayed by the portage today because of high winds on the river. It was a nice change because because we spent the day basically just hanging out and getting to know each other. I took a nice nap of course. A little while after, I sat next to Alex and we had a good talk. He said his hair was getting long and didn’t know what to do with it. So I tried to put it in a ponytail. He did that cute, shy smile he always does then took it out. That won’t be the last time I do that. We finally got to camp around 5 pm and started dinner immediately. Tommy made an awesome pasta dish that I hope he will soon make again. Tommy and Joel danced hand in hand but broke apart before we could pull out any cameras. We ended the night with Nick’s life story. Who knew Nick was such a punk. I have three older brothers and I don’t think I got as much crap from them as much as Nick’s brother got from him. Man, he is insanely funny! Oh! And he said a swear word that rhymes with duck. And finally we ended the night we a sweet surprise—the Northern Lights! Holy duck it was beautiful. This trip just gets better and better! I should probably shut up now and go to bed. Excited for what tomorrow will bring. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment