Saturday, September 24, 2016

21 September, 2016 (Nick Walberg)

We started off the day by once again saying goodbye to the Gates and Jeff’s parents before we left for the Battle Creek Outdoor Education Center. Before ECOEE I never knew such  program existed in the United States. I was amazed to find out that Battle Creek was the first facility of it’s kind and was created thanks to the generosity of the Kellogg foundation during the Great Depression. Battle Creek had a beautiful facility that featured a high ropes course and a rock wall for older students to try. It made me wish my schools had offered me the chance to spend up to a week learning about the outdoors   in a place where nature matters. I was also glad that over the decades budget cuts and other hardship hadn’t prevented this place from giving children the chance to understand instead of reciting information. After we finished our tour we got the chance to talk the staff in training and learn about how this place operates a well as how each instructor got the job. Largely we heard the same phrase that has been recited to us every year of our lives, It’s who you know, not what you know. Although I have trusted this statement to be true, I was surprised how many people at the camp had gotten the job through word of mouth instead of merit based. I was reminded today of how thankful I am to have this opportunity to see how the world really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment