Saturday, September 24, 2016

17 September, 2016 (Joel Davis)

Today marks the beginning of an end. It is officially the end of our time on the Missinaibi River. Jeff had us do an end of expedition where he and Ryan left us alone for about 24 hours with one simple set of instructions. We leave Glassy Falls in intervals and have the last boat get to Mattice by 1 pm at the latest. As the first boat left at 8 am, we all joined in on one loud, long whistle blow to satisfy our itch most of us have had since day one of wearing them. With this as our send off, we all started our staggered departures. Tyler and I were the fourth boat to take off and we left a little after 9 am to begin the few miles to our destination. We talked for a few minutes then decided to do a 30 minute reflection where we were only allowed to talk if it was essential for navigation purposes. Good thing we allowed that since we went through some rapids during this reflection time. After our silent reflection was over we reflected out loud with each other, asking questions and attempting to find a good answer. With so much to reflect on and so little of a paddle to do it in, I found myself wishing that I had more time, not just to reflect, but to be on the river as well. I’m sure that many have said it, but few have meant it. So when I say that this is not a good bye, but an until next time, it isn’t just words, but a promise to myself that I will someday return to the Missinaibi River. After getting off of the river, we went about our usual Saturday routine of feedback and LOW transitions. This was also accompanied by a list of chores that we had to get done so that we would be ready to leave tomorrow morning. With our transition from back country into front country well underway and my transition from LOW back to group member, I can’t help but to think that it’s all going to be different from here on out; fun, exciting, educational, and nerve racking, yes, but different none the less. As I lay here in my tent, listening to the patter of rainfall, I can’t help but to think back upon what all has happened and how the waters have been a part of it all for the last month or so. The Missinaibi River, the rain, all of the different lakes, and even the fog; these are the waters that have shaped us all over this time. They have helped us grow, helped us learn, helped us experience what few can say they have, and even helped us to stay hydrated. This is not and experience I will soon forget, and the best part, is that there is still so much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment