Saturday, September 24, 2016

15 September, 2016 (Liv Smith)

Another lovely day here on the Missinaibi River. We paddled early in the morning. But were first greeted by a French man (Tommy) with quite the colorful outfit on which included tall socks under red shorts, three layering shirts and a curly mustache. Needless to say, it woke us all up with some much needed laughter on such a cold morning. Looking around it seemed as though the trees had changed in color overnight. It felt like fall was beginning here in Canada. Once we arrived at Big Beaver, we were all delighted by the sheer beauty of the campsite. The steep rocks, rolling water, and colorful moss seemed to put us all at ease. After a long break, we met up after dinner at the end of the portage trail where we were greeted by a spiritedly Irish man (Kolin). We were given a brief history on what the fur trade used to be like and how all the portage trails were used before us. With some catching theme music we all left smiling. As I sit here on the rocks under the light of the moon, I am reminded of just how fortunate I am to be here. I have never seen such gorgeous landscapes, and will most likely never see them again, or at least in the same way. I think back to day one of our trip to the river mumbling to myself “What the hell have I gotten my elf into? How can I do 28 days of this?!” And now I am deeply humbled by the fact that I have almost completed this section of the expedition. To imagine how this trip will affect me for the rest of my life, and is now a part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment