Saturday, September 24, 2016

06 September, 2016 (Emily Smith)

What a fantastic day. We started the day off on a good foot with being earlier than our expected time for departure. I’d like to say that we’re just that good at packing our things up, but I think that the anticipation of our first sets of rapids had a bit to do with it. We ran both Cedar Rapids and Long Rapids and kudos to Tommy and Cody for being the only two to not get held up on some rocks. I’m marking that down as an ECOEE 2016 win.
            After coming off the river for the night and finishing our daily and evening routines of lessons and dinner, I was feeling some emotion that I didn’t quite know how to express – or even that I needed to. Turns out debrief was exactly what I needed. More than letting out my own feelings, I totally needed the conversation about where everyone else’s heads were. It was great to realize that I’m not the only one feeling some things like anxiousness or tiredness. It was even better to realize that I’m not the only one feeling some really great things too – like strength and gratitude. While this was such a powerful reflection time for me we all were also reminded one thing about this river experience. There are nine more days. Just nine. Only nine. I’m left with a repeat line running through my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment