Saturday, September 24, 2016

20 August, 2016 (Emily Smith)

As I sit here under this group tarp, staring out into the rain that hasn’t stopped but for five minutes in over seventeen hours, I have an outpouring of gratitude in my heart. Its hard for me to be annoyed with the constant wetness, frustrated with the temperamental camp stoves, or bothered by the burden of packing my giant river bag all over again when I just feel so lucky to be here. How do we do this for school? How does Jeff do this for a living? There is nothing better right now. Tonight Jeff ended things pretty early with a debrief starting around 3:45 P.M. after a long day full of lessons from him. It was pretty nice to “take it easy” the rest of the night and catch up on some things/relax with everyone. So far we’ve set up camp and been critiqued, made a couple meals, learned a few lessons, and from what I gather from the group everyone is ready to keep moving. I think that now its real. We’re here and as prepared as we’ll ever be with a lot and so, so many experience to be had. I’m having trouble taming the butterflies in my stomach and I think everyone else can say the same. Man, I could probably write a novel with everything going on in my head but the rain has stopped for a few seconds so I better take my soaked self to bed. Tomorrow’s another day to keep truckin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment