Saturday, September 24, 2016

11 September, 2016 (Kolin O'Keefe)

Another day on the river. We paddled from wavy rapids to split rock today and made decent time despite our slow start to the day. That may have been due to our groggy day we had yesterday with all the rain. At least we made the most of it. However, today was a welcome reminder that this Canadian weather is very temperamental and tends to turn on a dime. Today was nothing but sunshine. We went through several rapids and had a blast getting splashed by the large waves. Tyler and I had a great time as paddling partners, laughing and making goofy impersonations the whole way. We also got to experience Greenhill portage. I never really seemed to mind portages, I actually slightly enjoy them. Nonetheless, Greenhill was a challenge and it pushed me as an individual. I am ½ way used to the ruck sack marches, but this is much different and challenging in its own exciting way. Going along these lines, Tyler asked if I knew any marching songs to sing while we were carrying the canoe. I knew of “Jodies” that I used to sing while doing ruck marches and it brought back a lot of memories for me. I had a blast singing them and at about the same time, I was ironically reminded of 9-11 and took some personal time out of my day to reflect and was reminded of the tragic events and all the lives that were lost. I decided to redeem myself for Nick tonight by cook supper. The last time I made him dinner was during Cody, Nick and I’s LOW debrief. It was going so well that night till I spilled noodles in front of my fellow LOW’s… as well as Jeff and Ryan. Woops! Anyways, tonight I made a delicious stir fry, but it was too spicy for Nick. Harsh critique! Next time brother. These mosquito's, also known as “skeeter’s,” are nasty but the beauty of the campsite makes up for it. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment